Frequently Asked Questions

people at table
Frequently Asked Questions
I am a Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellow and receive a summer research stipend from the MMUF program.
MMUF students are welcome to apply to SR-EIP; however, they do not receive a Leadership Alliance stipend or travel reimbursement. The Leadership Alliance will support housing and other program expenses.
What is meant by rising sophomore, junior, senior?

A rising sophomore is entering their sophomore year in the 2023 Fall term. Rising seniors include those entering their senior year in the 2023 Fall term, or seniors who will be graduating after completing their Fall 2023 terms.

If my registrar offers the option of sending an electronic transcript through an online document delivery service, what email address should I provide?

Transcripts should be sent to you, the applicant, and then uploaded to your application as a PDF. We do not accept electronic transcripts.

I transferred from a 2-year junior or community college or a 4-year baccalaureate program. Must I upload a transcript from my previous institution?
Yes. If you transferred to your current school, then both transcripts are required. Upload both transcripts even if your current school transcript includes transferred courses. Upload transcripts from schools you attended full-time for at least one semester.
Do you accept unofficial transcripts?
Yes, unofficial transcripts or academic records downloaded from your university web site are preferred. Scanned copies of your official transcripts are accepted. If official transcripts are sent to you, you must scan and upload these transcripts to your application as a PDF. Erase or cover Social Security numbers.
My Fall 2022 grades will not be finalized by February 1, 2023. What should I do?

If your fall 2022 grades (due to your academic calendar and exam period, or other unusual circumstances) are not finalized on your transcript by February 1, 2023, you may submit your transcripts after February 1. If you intend to submit your transcript after the deadline you are required to upload a letter (PDF) notifying us of the reason for the delay in the application portal. Please also email and let her know your transcript will be received after February 1.

I studied abroad in Fall 2022 and my unofficial transcript will not include grades for the Fall semester.

If you studied abroad, submit an unofficial transcript without your Fall 2022 grades. You must also upload a statement describing your study abroad location and courses.

The Application
If I applied last year can I log into my old account using the same username and password?

No, you must create a new account for the current application cycle.

Is there a paper application?

No, there is not.

Will I be notified when my application is complete?

No, you will not be notified when your application is complete. You will see this information on your application  dashboard. The dashboard of your online application will indicate when each section is received. Students will receive offers via email, all other information will be shared directly through your dashboard in the application portal.

Will my application be considered if it is incomplete?

No. Your application will not be considered unless it is complete, including both letters of recommendation. All materials must be submitted by 11:59 PM PST on February 1.

Do I answer both the race and ethnicity question?
We request that you answer both questions. These are federal categories that we will use in describing the diversity of our program. You also have the option of "decline to indicate" for either one or both of these questions.
Can I submit more than two recommendations?
You may only submit two recommendations with your application.
What if my GPA is less than 3.0?
We require a GPA of 3.0 or better. Also given consideration is the level of difficulty of your classes, the comments of your recommenders, and your personal statement, including extenuating circumstances that you describe.
What if my school does not use grades/provide GPAs?
Please work with an administrator at your school to translate your academic assessments to an approximate GPA.
If my current undergraduate institution is a member of the Leadership Alliance, who can I contact about the SR-EIP?
You can contact the institutional coordinator listed on the Member Institutions page of our website. If your current undergraduate institution is a member of the Leadership Alliance, your institutional representative may be notified that you have begun an application when you save your Education section.
Research Sites
Can I select more than three academic institutions for research?
No, you may only select three research sites.
Can I select my home institution as an SR-EIP site?
No. The SR-EIP is a summer program of eight to ten weeks’ duration and is not intended to be a continuation of research you are already performing at your home institution. You must select three institutions other than your home institution. There are no exceptions.