Virtual Professional Development
The 2024 Leadership Alliance Graduate Student Virtual Professional Development Bootcamp application is now closed.
This three-day virtual bootcamp, Wed. January 10th - Fri. January 12th, 2024, will provide you with the opportunity to develop skills that will help you be successful in graduate school and beyond. This program is geared toward PhD graduate students in their first or second year, but all graduate students are welcome to apply. Space is limited so apply now! Applicants will be notified by January 5th.
Day 1: Wed. January 10, 2024, 9:30 am – 1:30 pm Eastern Time
Focus on Productivity (Time Management, Career Exploration and Planning, and Work/Life Balance)
Day 2: Thurs. January 11, 2024, 9:45 am – 1:30 pm Eastern Time
Focus on Resiliency (Managing Stress & Anxiety, Imposter Phenomenon, and Being an Underrepresented Student in Graduate School)
Day 3: Fri. January 12, 2024, 9:45 am – 2:00 pm Eastern Time
Focus on Communication (Effective Communication with your Advisor & Committee Members, Personal Branding, and Networking)
Contact: Dr. Jane Indorf, Manager of Undergraduate and Graduate Programs
Undergraduate Virtual Professional Development Series
Registration for the 2024 program will open in late April. The program will run June 3rd to July 19th, 2024.
The Leadership Alliance’s Virtual Professional Development Series (VPD) is designed for undergraduate students who are interested in exploring a research career. The VPD is designed for all students - from those who are just beginning to understand what research is to those with multiple research experiences. The VPD will:
- Improve your understanding of the overall research process
- Provide a better understanding of research opportunities across disciplines and subject areas
- Introduce you to professionals in industry, academia, and government who are affecting social change through their research
- Give you increased confidence for future research opportunities and graduate school application processes
- Improve your networking skills and expand your network at multiple careers levels
- Understand careers that are available to research professionals
- Inspire hope, ignite curiosity, and help propel you to the next phase of your academic career
Virtual Professional Development Series participants who complete the following requirements will receive a digital badge/certificate of completion administered through Credly.com
To receive the badge/certificate participants must:
- Attend or view at least 4 of the 7 Wednesday Professional Development workshops.
- Visit at least 4 institutions at the virtual recruitment events
- Submit a question for at least one “Conversation with a Doctoral Scholar.”
- Register for TLA Connect - the Leadership Alliance’s professional networking site
- Complete a post-survey
Upon receipt of their digital badge participants will be able to upload it to various platforms (LinkedIn, etc), print it as a certificate, and share it with prospective employers and graduate institutions.